[BusyBox] Modutils vs. Busybox...

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Fri May 11 15:41:36 UTC 2001

"Richard A. Smith" wrote:

> My issue was that the pcmcia tools appear to only build modules with
> versioning enabled AND busybox insmod was looking for my modules in
> the /lib/modules/2.2.17 tree when I was running a 2.2.19 kernel..

Looking at insmod.c, it looks to me as if insmod does the
equivalent of:

find /lib/modules -name "${module}.o"

...to find modules.  If you had a 2.2.17 dir and a 2.2.19 dir, I
wonder if it didn't search 2.2.17 first, so it found those modules
instead of those in 2.2.19.

> When I enabled module checking it alerted me that it was trying to
> load 2.2.17 modules into a .19 kernel.

What that did is just provide you with the warnings.

> So I just nuked that old tree
> and things started to work AS LONG AS vesioning checking was enabled
> because all the pcmcia modules have them. (Or at least the ones that
> build for me with make config)

It shouldn't matter, should it?  Did you try running without version
checking after deleting 2.2.17/*?  As long as busybox isn't looking
for version numbers, it shouldn't matter whether the modules have them
or not, should it?