[BusyBox] Problems with halt, reboot, du, ls, find, head, cut, sed, cp

Tom Oehser tom at toms.net
Wed May 2 15:58:43 UTC 2001

Mostly, it isn't a question of whether a specific script on tomsrtbt needs
those features, it is rather a question of trying to make them all behave
as expected within tolerances.  I would say that du -k instead of the
POSIXLY_CORRECT is reasonable, but (for tomsrtbt), a common use of the
'find' command would be selecting files for cpio in complex ways.  Some of
these are just what popped up broken when I substitued the busybox command
in the existing scripts.  Obviously, I would love it if busybox could be
the replacement for everything, but, I have alternatives, for example, I
wrote a 'cut' in Lua that supports all of the options and is fine for
now.  Find is really a problem, since the 'find' I have is 50K, in large
part because it doesn't work with the libc5 regex library.  I can probably
live without -regex and -iregex, but I havn't yet attacked the gnu-find to
reduce it.  It looks like I will have to, 50K is ridiculous. -Tom