[BusyBox] Problems with halt, reboot, du, ls, find, head, cut, sed, cp

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Wed May 2 14:38:18 UTC 2001

On Wed May 02, 2001 at 04:00:36PM -0400, Tom Oehser wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've updated tomsrtbt to include the most recent busybox, I ran into
> several issues where it is *almost* functional enough...
>
>  halt and reboot: Don't work.  Maybe they only support the 'busybox init'?
>                   I am using the SysV init.  Do they depend on busybox
>                   init being present in order to function?  Document this.

Yes.  halt, reboot, and poweroff are incompatible with SysVinit, since
they use signals to communicate with init.  Sysvinit uses a named pipe
for such things.  I can see that this could be confusing though, so making
halt/reboot/poweroff compatible with SysVinit would be better.

This falls into the category of a wishlist bug.

>  du: POSIXLY_CORRECT wasn't supported, breaking the scripts.

Do you absolutely need POSIXLY_CORRECT?  Can you not use 'du -k'?

>  sed: Failed, broke.  Um, failed on one of:
>
>   -e "/mount -o ro /c mount -o ro $FD /fl"
>   -e "/NM=/,/Welcome/d"
>   -e "/#AUTO#/r ST"

I'll leave these to Mark.  Mark?

>  cut: No multiple ranges?  "cut -c 1-3,5-7" isn't supported?

Not supported right now.  Is there another way to do what
you need?  If not I suppose we could add in such a thing.

>  head: No bytes, only lines?

true.  Need bytes?

>  find: No conjunctions?  find . -name "abc" -o -name "def"

Nope.  operators like -or, -and, anf ! are not supported.

>  cp: No -x

Nope.  Need it?

>  ls: No -Rid

As in recursively display the inode of each directory under the cwd?
I don't think even GNU ls does that...

[andersen at slag busybox]$ ls --version | head -n 1
ls (GNU fileutils) 4.0x
[andersen at slag busybox]$ unalias ls
[andersen at slag busybox]$ ls -Rid
 754598 .
[andersen at slag busybox]$ ./busybox ls -Rid
 754598 .

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com