bug#1162: [BusyBox] bug#1162: insmod SegFaults

Vladimir N. Oleynik dzo at simtreas.ru
Wed May 2 06:45:03 UTC 2001

David,

> I'm running Linux 2.2.19 with modules (all stripped).  The Linux
> kernel contains the Openwall patch and the Bridging patch (both the
> bridge patch and the ipchains-bridge patch).  This kernel was also
> compiled with UPX, though it loads just fine otherwise.
>
> insmod SegFaults, whether using glibc 2.1.3 or glibc 2.0.7.  Running
> gdb on it points to the following source code locations:
>
> new_create_this_module (insmod.c:2383)
> obj_add_symbol (insmod.c:1397)

I already sent the author modutils small bug-report. Unfortunately, the answer
was not.
I dream, that after such command:

objcopy -x --remove-section=.note --remove-section=.comment any_kernel_module.o

which gives a prize in size on a disk for modules `insmod' did not drop out in
core.
A mistake obviously heavy, I could not understand the reason as it is strongly
fastened on
format Elf itself.

But "objcopy -x any_kernel_module.o" worked, (my howto,
I not look this metod in another howto ;))

--w
vodz