[BusyBox] untangling applet selection from other config

Larry Doolittle ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov
Thu Mar 22 18:51:19 UTC 2001

Guys (any gals here yet?) -

I made a first attempt to untangle the applet selection
process from the rest of busybox configuration.  My patch
is posted at
   http://recycle.lbl.gov/~ldoolitt/applet-config.patch

It actually "works".  I suspect it has created a number
of self-consistency bugs (in particular, for some reason
I can't enable both logger and syslogd), but the basic
functionality is there.
  Type make: busybox builds
  Type make: "Nothing to be done for `all'."
  Uncomment a line in applet_select.h
  Type make: usage.o, applets.o, and the new applet are compiled,
     and a new busybox is linked.

Take a look, and see if it seems like a good direction to take.
Next, I'd like to see Config.h split out into pieces that affect
either one or a few applets, so those can be changed without
recompiling the world.  In the long run, how about a GUI that
can edit all these files, and instantly display the size
implications for each option change?

       - Larry