[BusyBox] re: Before .50 ? Can we get 'trap' <smile>

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue Mar 13 14:41:47 UTC 2001

On Mon Mar 12, 2001 at 11:15:43PM -0800, larry at doolittle.boa.org wrote:

> > Not to make you feel bad or anything, Michael, but you're the first person on
> > the mailing list to voice any interest in adding trap. Ever.
>
> Probably only because there are so many other defects with lash
> that everyone with serious shell needs has bailed out and uses ash.
> trap is a legitimate feature of a real Bourne shell, and should
> go in eventually.

I've only seem it used to speed init script launching, i.e:

#
#       Trap CTRL-C &c only in this shell so we can interrupt subprocesses.
#
trap ":" INT QUIT TSTP

#
#       Call all parts in order.
#
for i in /etc/rcS.d/S??*
do
        # Ignore dangling symlinks for now.
        [ ! -f "$i" ] && continue

        case "$i" in
                *.sh)
                        # Source shell script for speed.
                        (
                                trap - INT QUIT TSTP
                                set start
                                . $i
                        )
                        ;;
                *)
                        # No sh extension, so fork subprocess.
                        $i start
                        ;;
        esac
done

> My exhortation to everyone is to stop messing around with lash
> (at least once we get a version in 0.50pre that doesn't crash),
> and switch efforts to a shell that is actually designed to have

I'm just about there. I plan on releasing what I have to CVS this morning, then
let folks poke at it for a llittle while, then I think we can finally get 0.50
out the door.

> proper Bourne syntax and grammar.  I think we are stuck with lash
> for 0.50, since nobody has finished job control for hush, or made
> ash small enough and/or integrated enough.  I may have some time
> to spend on hush again in April, so maybe we can bring something
> together for 0.51.  Volunteers of all stripes welcome.

I know I regret having tried to fix up lash for 0.50, so I am very
anxious to get working on hush instead.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com