[BusyBox] Syslogd

Gennady Feldman gena01 at cachier.com
Tue Mar 13 04:49:55 UTC 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Michael Renzmann wrote:

> Yes! Yes! Go for it! I urgently ask you to do it. Would be a nice thing
> to have, really.

 The code got checked into CVS today by Mark which does several things:
1. Klogd is now a separate beast. (Added basic options - backgrounds by
default. -n doesn't do fork runs KLOGD in the same thread)
2. Syslogd is now single threaded. (No more overhead w/ fork() )
  a. Includes "Circular Buffer" code (this option is off by default). Look
for BB_FEATURE_IPC_SYSLOG in the Config.h to enable this. Then run syslogd
-C to run syslogd using circular buffer. More stuff coming soon (maybe
buffer size change) and other stuff.. I am at least happy now that I have
one writer which allocated/deallocates the shared buffer. Should resolve a
number of issues w/ my previous version of the patch.
  b. Includes logread applet (this is only compiled if you enable circular
buffer support and syslogd). Use this to read the contents of the circular
buffer. Current implementation supports multiple readers.

P.S. I want to thank Mark for testing this and commiting it into CVS. This
code will be included in 0.50. What are the things/bugs stopping release
of 0.50?

P.S.S. You need to update your scripts to run klogd separately now, since
it's no longer a part of syslogd. It includes everybody who's using syslogd!

G.F.