[BusyBox] Division of work.

Glenn McGrath bug1 at optushome.com.au
Mon Mar 5 08:39:50 UTC 2001

"Vladimir N. Oleynik" wrote:

> Glenn,
>
> > Well, busybox started out as an internal debian project for the
> > installer.
> > My primary reason for working on busybox is to develop ways for using it
> > in the new installer that is being developed. I hape to have a small
> > static busybox initrd that can unpack .deb packages to create the root
> > filesystem on a virtual memmory fs (shmfs/tmpfs)
>
> And you did not reflect, what these .deb packages can lay in a network?
> Then it will be necessary for you to support pppd, any environment for program
> management above wget or ftp or God forbid smbclient.
> I already am afraid to mention about secure the moments (for example about
> scp).

The initrd i am creating will just unpackags the installer, it doesnt do
the install.
Once the installer packages are extracted they can setup networking etc.

> > uClibc is a real space saver for me, i love it.
> >
> > Im sure you like saving space as well, so i assume you dislike it mostly
> > for technical reasons, i dont care so much about this, i just care that
> > it works.
>
> I see senselessness to have static busybox when one additional utility which
> behind itself will pull glibc is necessary even, locale, nss, pam.
> Therefore I seriously can not concern to idea uclibc.

The initrd i am making will just have one static busybox file, a couple
of files in /dev and /etc and thats it. It will probably unpack glibc
from a debian package for use by the rest of the installer.

This little initrd will be 40-50kB zipped, i want it to be independent
of the rest of the installer, that way the installer can be updated
easily withought making a new intird. I could compile it against glibc
and use the same glibc later, but i think by keeping it independent it
makes it simpler to manage as new versions of the installer are
released.

Glenn