bug#1116: [BusyBox] bug#1116: chown reports "Function not implemented"

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Fri Mar 2 20:03:58 UTC 2001

On Fri Mar 02, 2001 at 12:33:19PM -0700, Mark Whitley wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:37:18PM -0600, David Douthitt wrote:
> >
> > chown has a bug somewhere:
> >
> > # chown root.root /dev/tty
> > /dev/tty: Function not implemented
> > #

Your problem is the following code in chmod_chown_chgrp.c

    #if (__GLIBC__ >= 2) && (__GLIBC_MINOR__ >= 1)
            if (lchown
    #else
	    if (chown
    #endif

Older versions of glibc do not support lchown, therefore you would expect to
see exactly the behavior that you saw.  So if there is a bug anywhere, it is a
bug in the version of glibc you are using.   Also see the lchown(2) man page
and its NOTES section about relevant Linux kernel changes.

I'm going to close this bug since there really isn't anything we can do to fix
the problem beyond what we already have done (which is to disable lchown for
old glibc C libraries),

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com