[BusyBox] CROSS tools

Ambrus Michael Michael.Ambrus at elema.siemens.se
Fri Jun 29 05:45:19 UTC 2001

Hi,
I'm new to BusyBox and to this list. I hope you'll apologise my stupid
questions.

I need to build cross development tools for a x86 target that runs BusyBox.
I'm planning to build GNU GCC 3.0 and binutils 2.11.

Q: Which libraries and header files should I use? I'm read somewhere that
uClibc is the preferred choice. Is this what BusyBox relies on? The target
doesn't have any .lib or .h files except a couple .so files. I have not yet
figured out how to replace the complete distribution, since it's burned into
a flash ROM that doesn't seem to bother if I write to it or not. When I
reset the target - all the files are restored... So I figure, if I get hold
of the same version of the libs, it should be alright to build target
programs.

Q: Would I need to build binutils with the same libs as the above.

Q: I've never figured out why the targets libs and headers must be in place
at all when the CROSS tools are being built. After all the target compiler
should use the host's lib (and headers) to produce the target binaries,
right? It's when it comes USE the new tools that the target's files matters
- (right)? But I can't build binutils 2.11 and I think it's because of the
missing target files. Can anyone explain how it really goes..?

With Kind Regards
Michael Ambrus