[BusyBox] Weird Console behavior

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Thu Jun 28 01:29:09 UTC 2001

On Wed Jun 27, 2001 at 05:04:28PM -0500, Richard A. Smith wrote:

> I remembered that there was some sort of issue with 2.4.x and the
> console serial port. Is this some sort of manifestation of that and
> completly unrelated to BB or something else?

Well, there was a problem some time ago, but it was the result
of a revealed bug in bb init, which was corrected quite a while
back.

> I am using busybox, uClibc that are both about a week or so old...
> And I use vodz's busybox ash applet as my shell.
>
> BTW is there any reason vodz's ash applet isn't in BB offical?  Its
> quite handy.

A few reasons.  First, most of the builtins are broken (for example try to
source files in -- doesn't work).  Secondly, several features such as ~
expansion have been removed without even a define to enable them.  I don't mind
the removal of the Posix shell math stuff (which is also gone), but the other
things are a bit more painful.

But there certainly is a place for an ash applet.  I just checked in an ash
applet I put together, so feel free to check it out.  I used some of the ideas
from vodz' work, but I used newer sources and I tried to address the problems I
mentioned.  There is certainly some room to reduce it further and better
integrate it into busybox, but this gets it in place so we can hack on it.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com