[BusyBox] Re: question about make_image_arm

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon Jul 30 16:00:12 UTC 2001

On Mon Jul 30, 2001 at 02:39:22PM -0700, Larry Doolittle wrote:

> So the string indices at the front of the file will be incorrect
> unless sizeof(int) and byte ordering match.  I remember having
> trouble with root file systems that did not have valid ld.so.cache
> files, but maybe my phenomenology was wrong.
>
> I'm cc'ing the busybox list, I'm curious to know if and how other
> people make cross-endian ld.so.cache files.

You can completely eliminate the need for an ld.so.cache file
if you copy the libraries into /lib on your target with the
exact same names as shown when using 'ldd' on the binaries.

Anyways, if you run 'ldd' and see something like:

    [andersen at slag busybox]$ ldd ./busybox
	    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4001e000)

and then make sure you then do something like
    mkdir -p $TARGET/lib
    cp /lib/libc.so.6 $TARGET/lib
    cp /lib/ld-linux.so.2 $TARGET/lib

then things should run just fine without a cache file.

BTW, I wrote a cross platform ldd for uClibc that reads the needed libraries
and interpreter info directly out of the ELF binaries (instead of trying to
exec the shared lib loader which is what the glibc one does).  It is very nice
for use when cross-compiling and works just fine with glibc, uClibc, whatever
compiled binaries.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com