[BusyBox] ppp and char drivers

Adam Slattery aslattery at sunriselinux.com
Mon Jul 23 18:37:37 UTC 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, John F Davis wrote:

> Hello
>
> Will busybox ppp run on a custom char driver or does it require a serial
> interface? i.e, UART?  I am asking, because
> I have a simplistic char driver which allows two processors to communicate
> with each other using shared memory
> on a PCI bus.  I want to use this driver as a network connection.  I figure
> I can either write a network device or
> hack my char device so it can use ppp.

busybox has pppd? hrmm I think not. But this might possibly be useful.
pppd is pretty big. But then again it would be a lot of work since the
kernel ppp interface changes more often than nfs, and busybox mount has a
hard time keeping up with that.

pppd will work on any character device. You can make it use the console.
The kernel makes the translation from character device to hardware. You
might be better off writing your own driver though. PPP isn't designed for
super high speed connections (like a pci bus :), but I suppose it might
work for your purposes.

- Adam Slattery