[BusyBox] Init-Problems with halt

Adam Slattery aslattery at sunriselinux.com
Wed Jul 18 18:44:06 UTC 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Jan Setzer wrote:

> A have I probleme when halting the computer, the bb kill all processes
> an then I say I shutdown the system (poweroff), but then the Kernel ups:
>
> Kernel panic: attempt to kill init

Yeah, I ran into this a while ago and thought I had a fix but it didn't
work right. I haven't looked into it at all since then. I may sit down and
come up with a patch, but then again I may not.

> an the computers hangs ist there any fix for this probleme,

This isn't a problem when you do a halt... :)

> Another thing that I have allready solved is to have an action which is
> executed before bb is killing all processes - I added the action stop to
> init.c, I think 6 lines of chaning. A chance to add this to the next
> realease?

Probably not. IMHO, init needs to be rewritten. I've been wanting to write
a new init implementation for busybox for some time now but I have much
more important things to worry about (i'm really not even a busybox
developer).

What I would like to accomplish in the rewrite is the following:
- /etc/initctl support
- run levels
- more sysvinit-ish inittab
- optional super-small init implementation that drops the above
  two features in favor of something simpler.

- Adam Slattery