[BusyBox] Documentation ideas

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon Jul 16 11:35:25 UTC 2001

On Mon Jul 16, 2001 at 03:03:25AM -0400, Tom Cameron wrote:
> 	That being said, I do know that most (if not all) of the people on
> this list have gone through exactly what you're going through, and would be
> willing to help you out in any way they could (by sending you notes about
> how they built their system, etc.).  If you'd like, I can actually send you
> a modification of the scripts in the bootfloppy/ directory of the BB source.
> It builds uClibc, BusyBox, and TinyLogin, then installs them and a few of my
> custom scripts, makes and installs the kernel, creates an image file, and
> then gzips it up.  It is fully customizable, and is fairly well commented.

I'm open to patches... I would prefer it if one could enter that directory
and simply type 'make' to construct the bootfloppy -- right now it is not
completely obvious how to use it...

> 	BTW...is anyone actually in charge of keeping that directory
> up-to-date?  If not, would anyone else like my script?  Anyway, that's my
> take on the situation, and I hope I'm not completely wrong.  I think we'd
> all like to help each other out as much as we can, but I'm not so sure that
> those types of help would really be fit for "general consumption".  Anyway,
> good luck!

Mark Whitley (maintainer of sed and grep) had been maintaining it.
Unfortunately, as of Friday Mark is no longer with Lineo.  He is a very good
friend of mine, but since he no longer works for Lineo, I'm not sure he will
have the time to still maintain this, so volumteers are accepted.

I also put together something similar, ftp://busybox.net/buildroot.tar.gz
which is designed to produce a busybox+uClibc root filesystem which can then be
tested using user mode linux (uml).  I include an x86 uml kernel binary so
basically you should be able to simply type 'make && ./linux' to test things
out.  I am in the process of updating buildroot.tar.gz to cope with some recent
changes to the uClibc build system, and I should have that uploaded within the
hour,

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com