[BusyBox] dpkg rewrite commited

Glenn bug1 at optushome.com.au
Fri Jul 13 12:54:07 UTC 2001

Finally.... looking back ive spent many months on it, rewritten it with linked lists, binary trees, now hash tables.

There are some sections that could be improved, but overall im pretty happy with it... at the moment im very happy with the data structures, there could be a few ongoing issues to fix with regard to package formalities.

It seems pretty quick on my machine, by default it uses 280kB of memory, but it could easily be reduced if only a small status file was to be used, but if its reduced too much it will slow down and probably go into an infinite loop... hmm maybe i should do something about that.

I used my own hashing algorithm, it seemed to be working well when i tested it, but i havent played with hashtables/algorithms much before, so if anyone has an opinion on how ive done it let me know.

It should be pretty safe to try out, it makes a seperate backup file to the official dpkg, /var/lib/dpkg/status.udeb.bak, if you do break it let me know asap.

Thanks

Glenn