[BusyBox] Busybox SegFaults

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Tue Jan 30 01:41:12 UTC 2001

Part of the problem I've been having with busybox was with the
insmod command; I've also been having problems (apparently) with
busybox first thing on boot.  Since my distro depends on 71
commands in busybox, it brings the boot process down to "Enter
runlevel: " (not nice..)

I tried busybox 0.47 (does it all the time!) 0.48 - sometimes, but
insmod always fails and 0.49 - sometimes, but insmod always fails.

It's starting to sound like a kernel problem - I tried two different
PCs, same response; three different busybox, same response;
take libsafe out, same response.

That would seem to leave glibc and the kernel.  The kernels have
all had the LRP patches (initrd and linuxrc-always) and Openwall
and VPN+Masq installed. Anyone know if any of these would
cause problems?  Right now I suspect Openwall - perhaps it is
"protecting" something (?) and causing a SegFault.

I find it interesting that running gdb on insmod causes an actual
"untrapped" SegFault to occur.

--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator