[BusyBox] Insmod segfaults, even on most recent version

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Mon Jan 29 22:45:15 UTC 2001

On 29 Jan 2001, at 21:31, Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Mon Jan 29, 2001 at 03:12:43PM -0600, David Douthitt wrote:
> > I've attached a document containing output from
> >
> > # busybox
> > # ldd busybox
> > # strace busybox
> > # ltrace busybox
>
> I'm not able to duplicate the problem.  I've tried under
> both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels and it works for me...

Remember, I have the Openwall patches installed in my 2.2.19
kernel, as well as the libsafe libraries installed and the updated
glibc 2.0.7.  I'm convinced its in the buffer overflow protection or
some such thing like that.

> Something I am curious about -- it dies on a SYS_brk call.
>
> This is most likely alloca().  It is very likely that libsafe doesn't take
> kindly using brk() to grab extra space from the stack, which is what alloca is
> going to be doing in glibc.
>
> As a quick test (yes, this will leak memory like a sieve), could you do a
>     s/alloca/xmalloc/g
> in insmod.c and see if it still chokes with your special libraries?

Yes, it does - and in the same way.

I may see if I can scarf up a standard kernel without Openwall and
see what happens.

--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator