[BusyBox] choice for reserving buffers

Vladimir N. Oleynik dzo at simtreas.ru
Sat Jan 27 17:41:27 UTC 2001

Manuel Novoa III wrote:

> > "Segmentaion faults" - bad detector this problem. ;)
>
> Let me be more specific.  Is this really a problem for busybox?
> For any applet that isn't heavily recursive, I would say no.
> You're deciding either to put things in BSS or on the stack.
> I haven't built a full busybox recently, but
> surely you are talking about less than 100k.  If you've got an MMU,
> this shouldn't be a problem.  When was the last time you saw a seg
> fault from stack overflow that wasn't a compiler bug?

My router+rescue disk have busybox size 1.5M :)
(pppd+e2fsprogs+mc very big)
Demonstrate not strong, I special generation this with test in
`vmware'. ;)

If to unite all BSS the buffer it is quite possible to refuse in many
places the stack, in exchange to receive two bonuses - decrease
of size of the code and rise of speed.

--w
vodz