[BusyBox] Re: busybox digest, Vol 1 #258 - 3 msgs

Alex King alex at milton.king.net.nz
Tue Jan 23 19:43:30 UTC 2001

> From: "Vladimir N. Oleynik" <dzo at simtreas.ru>
> Subject: Re: [BusyBox] #define -> static const int (last call)
>
> Mark Whitley wrote:
> >
> > On Static Buffer Elimination
> > ----------------------------
> BAD!
> System discarding this BSS memory after end usage.
> Additional size. Not gain!! Stack is very limited resource.
>

> > $ size busybox-orig
> >    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
> >  237501   29660   65884  333045   514f5 busybox-orig
> > $ size busybox-const
> >    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
> >  238157   29692   39964  307813   4b265 busybox-const
> >                   ^^^^^
> >                    yay!

I was just wondering, is the bss actually pulled into memory?  Appart
from page table overhead, this should only use memory if the applications
actually touch the bss, ie it should be pulled in in 4k pages as
needed?

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:04:22 +0300
> From: "Vladimir N. Oleynik" <dzo at simtreas.ru>
> Cc: busybox at busybox.net
> Subject: Re: [BusyBox] bug#1089: marked as done (wget needs to be pulled out of
> busybox and put in netkit-tiny)
>
> Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > Done -- though I won't delete wget and the other netkit-tiny apps
> > from busybox till the next release.  I should probably drop i a
> > #warning in each of these files stating they will be going away...
>

> It is possible to learn the reason of such persevering requirement?
> This strongly will lower speed of work on projects as a whole,
> will demand duplication of a code (utils.c). I at all do not see
> problems at use expanded joint Config.h, it is enough to add any prefix
> for indication network or login-utilities, but in uniform busybox.

I also wonder about code which is shared between bb and netkit-tiny.
One solution would be a shared lib for utilities.c, but this would be
a bit over the top.

Is it possible to keep the codebase together and just build two
separate binaries, or have an option to build them as one binary?
What disadvantage would there be in doing this?