[BusyBox] BusyBox sh w/ GDB

Matt Kraai kraai at verona.lineo.com
Sun Jan 14 08:29:37 UTC 2001

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 01:32:39PM -0800, Bryan Rittmeyer wrote:
> I've spent the last couple days trying to get GDB running on my SH4
> embedded target, using BusyBox 0.48 and 0.49-pre CVS... and I suspect
> the BusyBox shell has a bug (?) which prevents output from a debugged
> process from ever reaching the terminal. GDB creates the debugged
> process with "/bin/sh -c exec [executable name]" However, the BusyBox
> shell, when spawned that way, seems to burry any console output:

If you are right, then there is a bug in GDB, not BusyBox.  With
bash, I get the following behavior:

Script started on Sun Jan 14 00:27:30 2001
kraai at verona:~$ /bin/bash -c exec echo foo bar
kraai at verona:~$ /bin/bash -c 'exec echo foo bar'
foo bar
kraai at verona:~$ exit
Script done on Sun Jan 14 00:27:50 2001

When using the -c option to sh, the first argument after it is
taken as the command to run.  The rest of the arguments are stored

Matt