[BusyBox] bug#1090: broken variable substitution in busybox's sh

larry at doolittle.boa.org larry at doolittle.boa.org
Fri Jan 12 06:23:52 UTC 2001

Right.  The existing BusyBox shell (also known as "lash",
the lame-ass shell) is fundamentally broken in a number
of respects.  This is also noted in bugs 1036 (wishlist),
1038, and 1039.

Erik would like to move to a real shell as soon as possible.
I have a prototype shell posted at
    http://doolittle.faludi.com/~larry/parser.html
Unless some deep magic happens, I don't think any new shell will
be ready to put into BusyBox until _after_ an 0.49 release.
If you are interested, I'd welcome help on the effort.  Even
testing counts as help!

In the interim, many people suggest ash.  It has the features
you want, and is a lot smaller than bash.  I doubt it is as
small as you want, but maybe you can cope.  :-(

      - Larry