[BusyBox] another one on circular buffer syslogd

Michael Renzmann renzmann at gmx.de
Wed Jan 3 19:09:53 UTC 2001

Hi all.

Erm, is anyone actually reading my mails concerning that circular buffer
syslogd? At least Gennady? There was very few response on that by now...
:)

It seems that the "multiple syslogd instances" problem is due to a
multi-fork bug in syslogd. On my test system 'ps' shows the following
(among other programs):

32 klogd -C -m 0
33 syslogd -C -m 0
39 syslogd -C -m 0
45 syslogd -C -m 0
... and so on...

When looking at the pid/ppid of each process the following shows up:
# cat /proc/33/status
[...]
pid 33
ppid 1
[...]

# cat /proc/<any other syslod pid, e.g. 39>/status
[...]
pid <any other syslod pid, e.g. 39>
ppid 33
[...]

One process is the father, the rest are childs. So there seems to be a
forking problem somewhere. Any ideas where to look at for this?

Bye, Mike