[BusyBox] BusyBox / Netkit-Tiny / TinyLogin status...?

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Tue Feb 27 22:09:46 UTC 2001

Erik Andersen wrote:

> I have never included login in busybox because tinylogin works ok for me as a
> separate application and I have not had any motivation to change it.

I would recommend that we keep TinyLogin separate, because of the suid
bit and required superuser status of the binaries.  I could be wrong,
but I think that that was what Vladimir was refering to.

> Yes.  And for those that want to use the system pwd_grp functions, there is the
> USE_SYSTEM_PWD_GRP setting to allow them to do that.   For those wanting to
> bypass GNU libc's nss (small embedded systems with no need for the flexibility
> that the GNU C library provides), there is the option to do this.

What does using the system NSS get you?  Oxygen (a router derived from
LRP) has glibc 2.0; would I benefit from using this?

> If you find I have not applied a patch you think is obviously correct, ask me
> why and explan again what the patch does and why I should apply it.  I try not
> to lose good patches 8 times in a row like Linus, but I do lose patches.  I get
> a lot of patches, and it is hard work to separate out the good from the bad.

What happened to the env patch?

What is the best way for us to get patches to you so they aren't
missed?  Should there be a busybox-patches at lineo.com?  Also, a response
would be nice - though we as patch creators also should realize that you
DO have other work and A LIFE..... and our patch isn't the only one to
come across your desk.

> > I use glibc-2.1.3:
> >
> >    9428 libnss_dns.a
> >   52166 libnss_files.a
> >
> > busybox:
> >   17408 libpwd.a
> > But not have support "services, hosts, networks, rpc, netmasks" files.
> > I not see dispute, equivalent size/featutes.

glibc-2.0.7:

/lib/libnss_db.so      18096
/lib/libnss_dns.so      9976
/lib/libnss_files.so   30204

Smaller than 2.1.3 dynamic libraries, I'm sure...

Should I be compiling busybox with this USE_SYSTEM_PWD_GRP set?