[BusyBox] BusyBox / Netkit-Tiny / TinyLogin status...?

Matthew Franz mfranz at cisco.com
Tue Feb 27 07:38:59 UTC 2001

> > There has been some discussion to that effect, but nothing conclusive (anyone
> > have strong opinions either way?).  There have been several changes to
> > tinylogin recently, and I plan on making a 1.0 release of tinylogin, possibly
> > as soon as tonight.  I'm bumping up the version number to 1.0, simply because
> > I consider it "done".  I can't think of much further I really want
> > to do with it (except use it).
>
> Point: Real distributions without `login' very unsecure ;)

How hard would it be to modify init to *not* spawn off shells (fairly easy
I imagine).

Dynamically deleting all the ttys from inittab from within the linuxrc
didn't appear to work, although I tried this a while back and I may have
screwed something up.

I like the idea of no login and no console and access via ssh with RSA
keys. Seems about as secure as you can get and we perfect for firewall/IDS
distros.

-mdf