[BusyBox] tinylogin built vs. uClibc

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Sat Feb 24 18:42:35 UTC 2001

On Fri Feb 23, 2001 at 06:12:34PM -0500, Tom Cameron wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	When building TinyLogin, I chose to build vs. the uClibc libraries.
> Obviously, it also uses the libcrypt library, but I was wondering why it

Perhaps it is obvious that you need libcrypt with uClibc.  But you don't.
Quoting from the Makefile:
    # GNU libc needs libcrypt.  Everything else wants this disabled...
    #LIBRARIES = -lcrypt

uClibc has an implementation of crypt(3) builtin so there is no need for any
external libraries.  So in this case, you should not be enabling libcrypt.  It
should only be enabled when compiling with glibc.  This is what you should see
with tinylogin compiled up properly with uClibc:

    [andersen at slag tinylogin]$ ldd ./tinylogin
            libuClibc.so.1 => /lib/libuClibc.so.1 (0x4000c000)

I just committed a small change to the Makefile to make it more obvious what
the setting for uClibc are.  I hope that helps.  I do wish I could think if a
better way to do this (it would sure be simpler if glibc didn't have a separate
libcrypt).

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com