[BusyBox] New Linux variant!! [humour]

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon Feb 19 15:28:45 UTC 2001

On Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 06:03:56PM +0300, Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:

> Users can have not current crossplatform compilator for put to
> ftp://10.1.1.1/busybox new version.

I usually work on ARM processors.  I set CROSS=arm-elf- when I
cross compile busybox and it works fine for me.  Any platform
supported by gcc can be supported by gcc as a coss compiler.

> Or hardcoded wroted in embeded ROM or not have RAM for place
> (current size 200-300k - is not small);

I will usually make a ramdisk to create temp space.
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram1 bs=1k count=1024
    mkfs.minix /dev/ram1
    mount /dev/ram1 /mnt -t minix
If there is not enough ram, this is impossible.

Running from from makes this impossible of course.

> and can`t real detele if run applet `init'.

That is why in my example I used 'mv /bin/busybox /bin/busybox.old'
then 'cp /tmp/busybox /bin/busybox' then 'rm /bin/busybox.old'.
This is the same mechanism used to replace a shared library.
The busy inode is moved out of the way then deleted.  This allows
to filesystem to keep the deleted inode active until it is no longer
used (when we reboot in this case).  New processes use the new
/bin/busybox.

> Also /etc/busybox.deny with format:
>
> applet1: userlist
> applet2: userlist
>
> not work. Only work if generated wrappers for all applets and deny for
> executable busybox binary.

I do not have a /etc/busybox.deny file, so I do not know what this is.
If you need to create new symlinks to busybox, then you can enable
BB_FEATURE_INSTALLER and run /bin/busybox --install' and update your
/etc/busybox.deny file.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com