[BusyBox] New Linux variant!! [humour]

ssrat at mailbag.com ssrat at mailbag.com
Mon Feb 19 13:49:54 UTC 2001

On 19 Feb 2001, at 6:09, Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:

> Erik Andersen wrote:

> > I do not understand.  I've done this before.
> >
> > cd /tmp
> > wget http://foo.bar/busybox
> > chmod a+x /tmp/busybox
> > /tmp/busybox mv /bin/busybox /bin/busybox.old
> > /tmp/busybox cp /tmp/busybox /bin/busybox

> I do not understand your example.
> What it is /tmp/busybox ?

I do.  I've also done it, though a little differently.  Let me
rephrase his example:

# --- Go get the latest version of busybox:
cd /tmp
snarf ftp://10.1.1.1/busybox

# --- Make executable:
chmod 755 ./busybox

# --- Use temporary busybox to copy itself over the old:
./busybox cp ./busybox $(which busybox)

# --- Zap the new one from the temporary directory:
rm ./busybox

# --- done!

....except I'm not sure that was what you meant, Vladimir.  Was it?

--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator
n9ubh at callsign.net