[BusyBox] welcome ifconfig and route

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun Feb 18 22:18:39 UTC 2001

1. You probably want to include "ifconfig -a" (show *all* interfaces, not
just *configured* interfaces, which is what plain "ifconfig" does). It is a
VERY basic troubleshooting tool. (The lack of an equivalent is probably the
main reason I hate working on systems that use "ip" instead of "ifconfig"
and "route".)

2. I've never found IP addresses in /proc/anything_whatsoever, and I've also
spent some time looking. I have been told that you have to use the
appropriate ioctls to get this info from the kernel.

3. Remember that there are a lot of scripts around set up to parse the
standard output of "ifconfig", awkward as it might be. So varying from the
standard reduces the value of the emulation here, as elsewhere.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray at comarre.com