[BusyBox] Re: udpkg in busybox

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Sat Feb 17 06:13:02 UTC 2001

On Sat Feb 17, 2001 at 11:16:26AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> The big problem i had is that tar -z exit()'s if there is an error in
> the gzip data stream.
>
> The control.tar.gz and data.tar.gz files are inside anotehr data file,
> so when gzip gets to the end of the .tar.gz it sees more data and tries
> to keep going, but fails as it should. The point of failure is correct
> and tar handles the data correctly, BUT SIGCHLD from child_died() in tar
> exit()'s if there are errors so dpkg and dpkg-deb both just terminate as
> well.
>
> We need normall program flow to continue in dpkg and dpkg-deb if gzip
> dies because it has to do other stuff. To do this i could just change
> the exit() in child_died() to a return(), but im not sure, does that
> defeat the purpose of catching SIGCHLD ?

There was a discussion about just this on the busybox list about a month
ago I think.  I was too busy at the time to dig into fixing it, but it
looks like this is still an issue.

> Other things i want to do are move get_ar_headers from ar.c to
> utilities.c which means we can compile busybox with just dpkg or
> dpkg-deb but without ar, this save a couple of KB by eliminating
> ar_main.
>
> Can do a similar thing with deb_extract in dpkg_deb.c, by moving it to
> utilities and save another couple of KB, this would mean we could
> compile busybox with dpkg but not needing dpkg-deb or ar.
>
> I will wait till after 0.50 is released before committing any
> significant changes such as these.

k.  Also, after the 0.50 release is out there, I have some structural
changes I will be making that will simplify such things -- the stuff in
utility.c is going to become libbusybox for example.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee at debian.org, andersen at lineo.com