[BusyBox] BusyBox / Netkit-Tiny / TinyLogin status...?

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Fri Feb 16 01:19:12 UTC 2001

On Thu Feb 15, 2001 at 06:19:42PM -0500, Tom Cameron wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	Well, now that I have a working system, I just wanted to follow up
> on some emails that I was clearing out of my box.  What is the status of
> merging netkit-tiny with busybox?  Is it to a point where I should be using

With ifconfig and route now in BusyBox, there is really no reason to use
netkit-tiny.  With the 0.50 release of BusyBox (which I hope will happen either
Friday or Saturday), then netkit-tiny will be officially declared dead.

> any plans to merge tinylogin and busybox?

There has been some discussion to that effect, but nothing conclusive (anyone
have strong opinions either way?).  There have been several changes to
tinylogin recently, and I plan on making a 1.0 release of tinylogin, possibly
as soon as tonight.  I'm bumping up the version number to 1.0, simply because I
consider it "done".  I can't think of much further I really want to do with it
(except use it).

After that, it is really up to the the folks on the mailing list whether folks
think it best to merge it or not.  There _is_ some redundancy between tinylogin
and busybox...

> these packages, compiling them against uClibc, and everything is happy
> (thanks to all your efforts!)...should I just continue to do this until I
> see an email telling me that "Hooray!  We have merged these packages!!!"?  I
> appreciate all your help!

For now, you can drop netkit-tiny from your arsenal.  BusyBox, tinylogin, and
uClibc are all alive and well, and of those, only tinylogin is even a candidate
for the axe.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com