[BusyBox] A small step toward auto-generating documentation...

Mark Whitley markw at lineo.com
Fri Feb 9 22:09:10 UTC 2001

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 02:43:46PM -0600, Manuel Novoa III wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Feb 2001, Mark Whitley wrote:
> >
> > Fellow Busyboxers,
> >
> > Submitted for your approval is a wee bit o' Perl that extracts usage
> > messages from busybox usage.c and pretty-prints them to stdout. The Perl
> > script and a sample of the output it produces are attached.
> >
> > Comments? Criticism? Lucrative movie offers?
>
> Just a comment about usage.c.  Before I was out of town for a week, I had
> posted a test patch to get rid of all the *_usage external symbols. I've
> carried on with that idea and modified the usage strings to remove the
> initial applet name, as that information is already available in the applets
> list.  The space savings on a full build is about 2.5k on i386.  I need to
> clean it up some, but everything seems to be working properly.  Is this
> something you might consider using?

I think your patch could be applied w/o any problems to the doc
auto-generation script. Can you send these patches to the bug-tracking system?
That's the best way to ensure that they don't get lost. (Brief explanatory
note: any patch that fixes a bug should be marked with severity 'normal' (or
higher, depending), and any patch that isn't fixing a bug but is just adding a
feature or re-doing how things are done should be marked 'wishlist'. Your
patch to remove the applet name from the usage string probably would qualify
as 'wishlist'.)

Mark Whitley
markw at lineo.com