[BusyBox] How do you use the BB_SRC_DIR build option?

Larry Doolittle ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov
Thu Feb 8 01:03:57 UTC 2001

Jon McClintock said:

> Ok, the patch works against CVS (but not 0.49).

Right.  And if you are happy with your system pwd/grp routines, so
you never build pwd_grp/libpwd.a, the CVS version is OK as it stands.
With the patch, you can also build pwd_grp/libpwd.a, but only if
BB_SRC_DIR is absolute.

> But it's kind of backwards
> from the typical way it's done. Typically you specify where you want the
> object files, output binaries to go, etc.

I beg to differ.  The key to making a separation between source
and object file is the VPATH feature in make.  That variable tells
where to find _sources_, not objects.  See the long exposition at
    http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/vpath.html

There is plenty to read on the net about Makefiles.  Poke around
on Paul Smith's site, read the info file for gmake, and look
at the "Recursive Make Considered Harmful" link I posted before.
Feel free to add to this list -- I don't have all the answers.

    - Larry