[BusyBox] find wish list

ssrat at mailbag.com ssrat at mailbag.com
Tue Feb 6 14:11:39 UTC 2001

I was looking at the find command, and trying to see what I could use
(ie, what I MISSED) and what I would use it for.  This is in relation
to -type .....

I thought of three things for -type and some more predicates... I've
ranked them in terms of "I wouldn't miss it" (0) to "I GOTTA HAVE
IT!" (5)....

4: -type d          * find directories; speed up some searches?
5: -type f          * FREQUENTLY useful...
2: -type l          * maybe....

4: -perm -400       * security
3: -perm +111       * find executables
1: -perm 400        * completeness?  or not?

1: -mtime +4        * older than 4 days
1: -mtime -4        * within four days

Thoughts?  This leads to the idea of expressions - that is, adding:

et al - I would argue against that.... adds complexity.

--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator
n9ubh at callsign.net