[BusyBox] Single Unix Specification version 2

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Thu Feb 1 18:42:04 UTC 2001

On Thu Feb 01, 2001 at 10:10:00AM -0800, Matt Kraai wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Is there any interest in trying to make BusyBox SUSv2 compliant?
> The webpage for the utilities specification is available at

I always like being standards compliant.  I would very much like
busybox to be SUSv2 compliant -- with one caveat.  I think we
want to continue to _not_ implement features that are:

    a) stupid (I don't see adding an m4 parser anytime soon ;-)
    b) bloated (things like NLSPATH, LANG, etc)
    c) redundant (can and should be done another way)
    d) ugly (uucp and m4 both come to mind)
    e) require libraries other then libc

So with those caveats, an emphatic yes.

> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcuix.html .

Excellent!  This will be a very valuable reference,
especially the "Shell Command Language Index" section.

Thanks for letting us know.  So far, every time I've gone looking
for standards, I've been blocked at the part where thay ask for
huge sums of money.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com