[BusyBox] remote syslog patch to prepend the hostname

Jason Luther jason at airwave.com
Tue Dec 18 17:37:19 UTC 2001

From: "Gyepi SAM" <gyepi at praxis-sw.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 02:58:01PM -0800, Jason Luther wrote:
> > This patch prepends the hostname to a syslog message when remote logging
is
> > enabled. It's of questionable usefulness because the remote host usually
> > adds the local hostname in its own syslog, but it is needed in my
> > application because the reverse hostname of the devices that's sending
> > messages is wrong.
>
> Hmm. Sounds like you are solving the problem in the wrong place.
> If reverse DNS at the logging host, gets the name wrong, the place to fix
the
> problem is in DNS.  Having said that, the ability to define an arbitratry
> prefix for remote log messages, which is a more general solution to the
> problem, may be useful.

I tend to agree with you, but there are plenty of cases where a site might
not have reverse DNS for internal IP's, or where the useful hostname is a
CNAME, not the PTR record.

In my case, I'm only using the hostname for remote logging, and I'm not in
charge of our nameserver, so I'm using it as an arbitrary prefix. :) I'll
put adding the commandline option on my TODO list.

Happy holidays!
Jason