[BusyBox] crond applet for 0.60.2

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Dec 13 15:24:24 UTC 2001

Mainly out of a desire to learn how to write a Busybox applet (and avoid
thinking about exams) I've written a reasonably compact, somewhat
functional, crond applet.

At the moment it is only useful for running cronjobs as root (or whoever
starts it). It does not support user crontabs or e-mail output. It compiles
and appears to work for x86 using GLIBC, it also compiles against uClibc
but then the syslog() calls don't seem to work (using either Redhat's
syslogd or Busybox's). Any clues would be appreciated.

I have included some rudimentary documentation in docs/crond.txt, not sure
how to modify busybox.pod and I didn't feel like playing with it.

Suggestions, complaints, flames, bugfixes, etc. welcome (for flames please
use my other address, devnull at chebucto.ns.ca). Naturally this code comes
with no guarantee whatsoever of usefulness or harmlessness (although the
"set_cpu_on_fire()" syscall seems to be undefined in Linux so I couldn't
use that).

Anyone foolish enough to try and actually USE it should have a look at the
first few defines in crond.c. Some of them control features that ought
(IMHO) to be in Config.h but I wasn't sure about the protocol (if any) for
adding optional feature defines there.