[BusyBox] Good dns cache server...

Tom Cameron tom at patcameron.ne.mediaone.net
Thu Aug 30 05:41:24 UTC 2001

Thanks all!
	Thank you for your help in finding a suitable DNS server.  After
testing the servers you suggested, and many others that I happened to
stumble upon, I finally found one that works well and is RIDICULOUSLY
simple!  In fact, the entire server is ONE .c file!!!  The server is
called dnsmasq, and I would suggest that anyone searching for a simple
caching or SMALL domain DNS server check it out!
	Essentially, its designed to run on a firewall system (thus the masq.
part), to serve as a forwarder/DNS server.  It does this by looking in
/etc/resolv.conf for other DNS servers, and /etc/hosts for locally
located servers.  Compiling it was a _breeze_, and it went flawlessly,
creating a 16k server daemon.  It is my belief that the actual cache of
DNS names is stored in RAM, instead of a file, making it a perfect fit
for embedded systems that need to serve as DNS-caches.
	Anyway, I figured I'd thank everyone for their suggestions, and tell
the rest of you what I have found, in case someone else is looking.
Thanks!

-Tom