[BusyBox] Good dns cache server...

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at busybox.net
Wed Aug 29 18:39:50 UTC 2001

Tom,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 04:45:36PM -0400, Tom Cameron wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	I have been trying to get dnscache (part of djbdns package) to work on
> my target system, but have found it to be too cumbersome, and to require
> too many external things.  This brings me to my question. Does anyone
> know of a good dns-cache server that can be built against uClibc?  Or,
> perhaps, does anyone know how to smack dnscache around enough to make it
> not depend so heavily on the other packages (I don't think this is
> possible without a rewrite).  Anyway, I just figured I'd ask.  BTW,
> djbdns DOES in fact compile against uClibc...so we can chalk up yet
> _another_ package that uClibc works with!  Thanks!

A couple of months back, I had gone through most of djb's packages
(daemontools, ucspi-tcp, djbdns, qmail, ezmlm, publicfile, fastforward,
dotforward, checkpasswd, libtai, qmailanalog, and cdb at least)
and collected common code into a shared lib, as well as fixed compiler
warnings and a couple of minor bugs.  Everything built fine against
uClibc of the time... with the exception of qmail which needed some
of the libresolv routines.  I got around that by patching qmail to use
the djbdns routines directly.  Unfortunately, I haven't had time to
get back to that stuff.  I did run the djb's regression tests though
and I don't recall any problems.  The only problem I did have was the
result of a bug (big memory leak... now fixed) in uclibc.

Just checked an old user mode linux image I was running with this stuff.
With daemontools, publicfile, djbdns, and ucspi-tcp installed....
shared djblib was about 100k, all other files about 420k... linked against
a shared uclibc on i386.

Manuel