[BusyBox] Re: Compiling ash (the one with arithmetic that works...)

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Thu Aug 9 09:29:04 UTC 2001

David Douthitt wrote:

> I was trying to compile ash standalone, and I get this:
>
> i386-glibc20-linux-gcc  -DBSD -DSMALL -DSHELL -DHETIO
> -D__COPYRIGHT\(x\)= -D__RCSID\(x\)= -I. -D_DIAGASSERT\(x\)= -O2 -Wall -o
> ash arith.o arith_lex.o builtins.o alias.o cd.o error.o eval.o exec.o
> expand.o hetio.o histedit.o input.o jobs.o mail.o main.o memalloc.o
> miscbltin.o mystring.o nodes.o options.o parser.o redir.o setmode.o
> show.o signames.o syntax.o trap.o output.o var.o bltin/echo.o
> bltin/test.o bltin/times.o  init.o -lfl -s
> builtins.o(.rodata+0x94): undefined reference to `timescmd'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> timescmd is listed in builtins.c, builtins.def, init.c, and
> bltin/times.c, but doesn't seem to be defined anywhere.  I'm not sure
> where to go with this one.
>
> ash is 0.3.7, with the following patches applied:
>
>     ash_0.3.7-16.diff
>     ash-0.3.7-makefile.diff
>     ash-0.3.7-makefile-update.diff
>     ash_tcsetpgrp_fix.diff
>
> (in that order).  timescmd was added in ash_0.3.7-16.diff (the first
> patch listed), but I can't seem to find any definitions.

I've kept working on this.  The problem turned out to be that
_GNU_SOURCE was not defined, and thus timescmd was not compiled into
times.o.

Seems like, with all the ash development going on, that there should be
a separate ash development.  I know that there is the Debian ash, and
the NetBSD ash, and who knows what else.  What do you all think?