[BusyBox] Re: [uClibc]busybox insmod with uClibc is broken for pcmcia modules

Michael Shmulevich michaels at jungo.com
Thu Apr 26 18:05:13 UTC 2001

"Richard A. Smith" wrote:

> This is probally a can of worms and my no means an attack... but I'm
> confused at how you can claim that your cpompany supports the GPL
> when you can't distribute patches.

We will distribute patches, but this would be done after we have a
product to
sell.
Moreover all sources of any product with GPL or Mozilla or any other
open
source program will be made available at the same time. You however must
understand, that if we do so before, then all our competitors will have
the
same product ad steal our clients. Unfortunately we're not as based as
Lineo
or MontaVista to make a public access to our CVS development trees, but
we
actually will make all our public sources public.

> It conforms with the leagal terms of the GPL but totally goes aginst the
> "spirit" of the GPL.   More
> like your company abides by the GPL rather than supports.

I agree with you, but this is the company's policy. I do not want to get
fired for my personl symapthy for GPL's spirit.  :-)

> Thanks for the insight though.... If the other malloc algos don't
> solve it then I will take a look at the insmod code and brew up a
> patch.

There were two problems, as I can remember: one that created some symbol
in
_ksymtab at index -1, and another one is when adding symbols: there is a
situation when symtab was with zero size, we scan all symbols whether we
want
to add them to symtab, and later ther was a call with xrealloc(size +
new_syms). both were zero, so we end up with xrealloc(0).
See my previous comments about what happens when you call xrealloc(0) in
bbox.

Michael.