[BusyBox] Re: [uClibc]ld.so, and all that fanciness.

Michael Shmulevich michaels at jungo.com
Thu Apr 26 18:04:47 UTC 2001

Tom,

Tom Cameron wrote:

> Hello all,
>         Now that the ld.so in uClibc has matured a bit, what are the
> comparisons between it and the Glibc ld.so?  Any compelling reasons to
> switch?  What about size/performance?  Just wondering.  Not that I'm not
> going to use it.  ; )

As for ld-linux.so.1 (from ld.so package) against ld-linux.so.2 (from
glibc): the size is about 20k against 80k,
performance -- couldn't actually tell, but i think glibc's ld.so must do
more things (like version checking) so the ld.so-1 would be faster too.
As
for ld.so-1 cons, it currently supports only x86, sparc and m68k. No
equivalent code exist for mips, powerpc, arm or sh. It would not be that
complicated though, as the arch-dependant stuff is very limited: mostly
syscalls, GOT place stuff and relocation types.

We are started working on MIPS support but have not got many support
form
MIPS community, whch prefers to use glibc. Anyone with deep
understanding of
ld.so dynamics can be of help.

Thanks,
Michael.