[BusyBox] quite OT: 2.2.x or 2.4.x?

Tomi Ollila Tomi.Ollila at sonera.com
Mon Apr 23 09:54:13 UTC 2001

Monday Apr 23 10:53:50 +0200 2001 Michael Renzmann <mrenzmann at web.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>

> The question for me is: should I use kernel 2.2.19 (which seems to be
> nearly as stable as a rock) or would it be better to use 2.4.3 (maybe
> 2.4.4 if it is released soon)? I would like to use 2.4.x. IPTables seems
> to increase the possibilities of the kernel firewall code a lot. On the
> other hand the release frequency for 2.4.x updates is still quite high.

I've done this decision: I use 2.4 in desktop machines and 2.2 in server
machines:

2.2.x(19) is very stable and well tested in production environment, and
ipchains is easier to use than iptables (and therefore lacks some very
useful features). There was just information about 2.4.x iptables
vunberability...

2.4.x is very good on desktop (aumix fixes sound problems), almost
every desktop thing that is out there is already supported by 2.4.x -- some
of those better that in 2.2.x, and some are no longer supported in 2.2.x
environment (heroininewarrior stuff, for example).

> The next question (and to get back to bb again :) ) is: if I would
> choose to use 2.4.x, how about support of this kernel version with the
> current busybox release? Any problems to be expected?

Probably more than w/ 2.2.x ;), but tomorrow things may be different.