[BusyBox] Linux kernel 2.4.3, Console Terminal and busybox

Fabrice Gautier gautier at email.enst.fr
Fri Apr 20 19:02:23 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm using busybox as init/shell on my i386 target. I'm aloso using a serial
console.

With kernel 2.4.2 everything was fine, at startup busybox printed a
"Press enter to activate console" and after pressing enter i has the
shell cmd line.

But now with 2.4.3, when I press enter nothing happen.

It first appears to be a kernel bug, and someone pointed the problem on
the linux-kernel list:
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.2/0808.html

But then someone (Dick Johnson) told this guy that this was probably
init which was not configuring the terminal correctly:
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.2/0830.html
(the interesting part is the quoted part)

So i was thinking that perhaps some change in the kernel is showing a
bug in busybox and other init programs (the first reporter didn't
mention he was using busybox)

Did someone tried busybix with 2.4.3 and serial console?

Dick Johnson gives his terminal initialisation code in he mail cited
above, it looks like there is a few more things in there than in busybox
init code but I don't know how to make sense of it

Thanks

--
Fabrice Gautier <gautier at email.enstfr>