[BusyBox] Hi all

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Wed Apr 18 15:56:49 UTC 2001

Erik Andersen wrote:

> For example, if each applet included its own APPLET("name", name_main, DIR)
> stuff, we could basically grep for that stuff at compile time, sort it,
> and create the master applet list dynamically.

How about using the "new" UNIX /opt model?  I'm refering to where the
system PATH is huge, and each additional package adds a new dir to the
path, like so:

/opt/netscape/bin:/opt/openview/bin:/opt/ns-fasttrack/bin:/opt/ARCserve/bin

etc. etc. etc.  To wit, using in busybox would be having directories
like so:

busybox/
busybox/contrib/
busybox/contrib/myapplet/
    applet.h
    usage.h
    main.c
    [...etc...]

Thus, sorting the applet code (with the exception of the busybox apps)
would be:

ls -1d busybox/contrib/* | sed 's/$/\/applet.h/'

...or maybe even...

ls -1d busybox/contrib/*/applet.h

...if ls sorts completely.

You could even sort the busybox applets this way in another directory
other than ./contrib/

One thing: I was trying to implement some *aliases* and found that
near impossible without duplicating the help entirely - not a pleasant
thing when you're trying to alias ls to about three others :O