[BusyBox] tar behavior

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Mon Apr 9 22:58:03 UTC 2001

Given a tar file created in the following way:

tar cvf bin.tar /bin

...and extracted in the following manner...

cd /tmp
tar xvf bin.tar

...I would expect to find it extracting the following:

/bin/xxxx
/bin/yyyy
/bin/zzzz

**HOWEVER** it would seem that GNU tar does NOT do this:

bin/xxxx
bin/yyyy
bin/zzzz

...even though every UNIX book from the beginning of time has told new
tar users that these were absolute paths.  I've created a patch to
"fix" this to bring back the actual UNIX behavior.  I can just imagine
GNU tar broke more than a few backup scripts.

I know busybox is using GNU behavior, but what if that breaks UNIX
behavior?