[BusyBox] Busybox' "sh" shell on PowerPC

Edmund Troche ETroche at IRSINC.com
Mon Apr 9 16:53:40 UTC 2001

Has anyone considered maybe using PD-KSH. I know the Transmeta (Midori)
Linux uses this. It is supposed to be KSH look-alike. Not sure how big it
is, but since it is being used in Midori, it might be small enough. More
information is available at http://www.cs.mun.ca/~michael/pdksh. Just an
idea.

Edmund

-----Original Message-----
From: busybox-admin at busybox.net
[mailto:busybox-admin at busybox.net]On Behalf Of Larry Doolittle
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001 11:42 AM
To: busybox at busybox.net
Subject: [BusyBox] Busybox' "sh" shell on PowerPC

Michael Shmulevich wrote

> there seems to be tty race condition, especially when I use pipeline.

I have seen that too.  I chased the lash code up and down, and
it seemed to follow all the rules.  Mysteriously, the problem
went away when I changed from linux-2.4.0 to linux-2.4.2.  See
http://busybox.net/lists/busybox/2001-March/002520.html
If you pinpoint a lash problem that I missed, please tell us.
That kind of debugging should carry over smoothly to hush.

> Pipeline is correct, except for WHY fd[2] is sent to  pipeline???

This is a lash-ism.  Since lash doesn't understand 2> syntax,
somebody decided it would be best to lump stderr with stdout.
If you don't want this behavior, comment out line 1684 of sh.c .
If you want real sh-style handling of file descriptors, either
switch to ash, or help us work on hush.  :-)  Hush already handles
>, <, 2>, >>, and even 2>&1.  I haven't tested the interaction
between redirection and exec, that probably needs work.  I have
not started trying to do anything useful with <<.

      - Larry