[BusyBox] vi applet for busybox

Alex King alex at milton.king.net.nz
Wed Apr 4 07:00:36 UTC 2001

Thanks for the quick response, Eric.

I had it floating around in my head that maybee it had to be usefull on
an embedded system, and/or that just basic command line utils are
included.  Also maybee that it needed someone to actively maintain it.
And that it not be platform specific?

I can think of lots of things I would want to put in a contrib
section, web servers, mail servers, editors, and disk tools as I
mentioned.  Oh, if there were 124 hours in a day!

The danger of course, is that it might draw maintainers' energy away
from the core of busybox ... I wouldn't want that to happen.
Basically, I would see the stuff in contrib offered on an as-is basis;
someone gave it to us - if it doesn't work, don't bug us.

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 12:21:57AM -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Wed Apr 04, 2001 at 05:13:40PM +1200, Alex King wrote:
> > FWIW, I would like to see it go in.
> >
> > What is the official line for what goes into busybox?
>
> So far my basic criteria has been:
>     1) it must never require any shared libs other then libc
And libbb now, is that what it's called?
>     2) It must be small, clean, maintainable code
>     3) It must be GPL compatible code
I agree with the two above
>     4) It must be generally useful for a large group of people
This could be perhaps relaxed for a contrib section
>     5) It must not be stupid or redundant
>     6) If I need it for some project I am working on, it goes in. :-)
you gotta have some perks, right :-)

> > What I would _really_ like to see is a contrib section in busybox, or
> > a companion project somewhere to collect usefull stuff.  I was kind of
> > hoping that with the re-organisation of busybox code there could be a
> > place for this somewhere.
> >
> > What I am thinking of is somewhere where people can contribute applets
> > that don't fit into the busybox core functionality.  Eg, editors, or
> > disk tools (fdisk, mke2fs etc)  What would tie them to busybox would
> > be that they compile under uClibc (hopefully), they would use libbb,
> > and they would be able to compile into a single executable with other
> > busybox code.
> >
> > If the people who are doing the code reorganisation can keep it
> > modular enough so that extra code can be slotted in that would be a
> > start.  Would lineo be able to host such a contrib section?  Otherwise
> > a sourceforge project could be set up.
>
> I think this is an excellent idea.  I have absolute power over
> busybox.net, and I will gladly set up a contrib section,
> mailing lists, or whatever else is necessary,

cool