[BusyBox] bug#1036: upgrade lash's handling of variables

Larry Doolittle ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov
Wed Sep 13 17:59:58 UTC 2000

Package: busybox
Version: 0.46
Severity: wishlist

I'd like to keep using lash for scripting in embedded
systems; it's small, responsive, and supported.  I do
find its variable handling on the weak side.
In particular:

1. No local variables, as distinct from environment
   variables.  Lash doesn't understand
      FOO=bar
      echo $FOO

2. No local environment.  Lash doesn't understand
      FOO=bar command

3. "$" handling incomplete and incompatible with sh.
   Many cases, some of the more important ones:
      echo ${PATH}:/opt/bin
      echo "variable FOO is set to $FOO"
      echo $FOO    # when FOO is unset

I looked at the new code in CVS dated Sept 5, where
$$, $?, $#, $!, and $[digit] are handled.  That's
certainly an improvement.

     - Larry Doolittle   <LRDoolittle at lbl.gov>