[BusyBox] Re: My 2.4.x sysinfo patch...

Bryan Rittmeyer bryan at ixiacom.com
Thu Sep 7 20:38:52 UTC 2000

Erik Andersen wrote:
> It looks like my 2.4.x sysinfo patch has (finally) made it into linux kernel
> 2.4.0-test8-pre5, restoring binary compatibility with 2.2.x.  This means that
> busybox binaries compiled under 2.2.x should run now run without a problem
> under 2.4.x kernels >= 2.4.0-test8-pre5...

Hi Erik,

Just wondering, does this mean binaries compiled under earlier
2.4.0-tests are now broken with test8-pre5?

I am doing some embedded linux work on the Hitachi SH4, and with
2.4.0-test7 BusyBox 0.46 init comes up correctly. However,
using the same binary (staticly linked) under 2.4.0-test8 results in the
"Your computer does not have enough memory" message. Ugh.

I would simply recompile and use the new binary, but if I do BusyBox
init never gets past "serial console detected.  Disabling virtual
terminals." I partially suspect that is something whacky in my cross
compiler environment and not a BusyBox/kernel problem though. Who knows.
Life sure is fun on the bleeding edge.

Anyway, thanks for a great little utility for embedded linux.

Regards,

Bryan Rittmeyer
mailto:bryan at ixiacom.com